ARRIVE Hotels & Restaurants was founded by Chris Pardo and Peter Karpinski, who met while working at Four Seasons Hotels & Resorts in the late 1990s. Throughout their respective careers, they have strived to chart new paths for their industries – Chris in the architectural, interior design, and hospitality arenas, and Peter in the world of restaurant and hotel development, branding, and operations. The pair committed to developing a hospitality brand together that would redefine modern travel and dining, and after many years of conceptualization, they came full circle to launch the ARRIVE brand.
While exploring an inaugural property for ARRIVE in Palm Springs, Chris and Peter had the fortune of meeting Ezra Callahan, Matt Steinberg, and David Isen - college friends who had formed Artist & Recreation, a Los Angeles based real estate development and hospitality group. Callahan had recently shifted his focus to this arena after several years working at Facebook, where he was the Company’s sixth employee and first product manager. Steinberg, a Stanford-trained lawyer, had also changed gears after several years working at one of Los Angeles’ premier law firms. Isen split his time between being a touring musician with HORSE the Band and working as a software engineer for Amazon. Chris, Peter, Ezra, David and Matt found they shared a similar mindset around the values, passion and drive they wanted to inject into the hospitality world, and an exciting and promising relationship was formed.
In 2015, ARRIVE added two more partners to the team: Chris Putnam and Kurt Englund. Putnam served as one of Facebook’s first engineers - and one of its youngest after being hired at 19 after notoriously hacking the site in 2005. Englund, a successful hospitality executive and a former colleague of Karpinski and Pardo’s from their early days with Four Seasons, joined the team as Managing Partner of the Palm Springs property.
A brief History of ARRIVE
- Pardo and Karpinski create Arrive Enterprises LLC and set their sights on Palm Springs.
- They dig into a small existing hotel for sale called The Palm Grove Hotel intending to do a simple paint-the-pig renovation.
- Pardo and Karpinski meet Callahan, Steinberg and Isen, and a new partnership is formed: Palm Grove Group LLC.
- The group decides to pass on The Palm Grove Hotel and shifts focus to a vacant lot a half-mile south; instead of rehabbing an existing property the group decides to embark on the first new construction hotel in Palm Springs in over 30 years. (But to save money, they keep the Palm Grove Group LLC name for the new project.)
- Pardo moves to Palm Springs from Seattle, sets up a satellite office for his architecture and design firm, and drives the design and entitlements for the first ARRIVE.
- Within just two months of acquiring the hotel site, Palm Springs approves the entitlements for the project to move forward; Pardo successfully avoids wearing a long-sleeved shirt or anything besides jeans to every hearing and city council meeting along the way.
- The partners secure funding from its first major capital partner, Knitting Factory Entertainment, Inc.
- The partners host a “groundbreaking” ceremony on the site with city officials -- the mayor, city council members, and plenty of shovels.
- Pardo gets around to tattooing Palm Springs on his arm next to all of the other cities he has lived in.
- Callahan, Isen and Steinberg become members of Arrive Enterprises LLC.
- The team sets up their first corporate office in Los Angeles in a small building owned by Skrillex in Chinatown.
- The partners begin leasing every available space adjacent to the hotel with visions of opening up additional restaurant and retail outlets. Instead, some of the spaces end up serving as construction offices and storage sites during development of the hotel, while others variously house a friend’s furniture-making studio, a professional office, and some of Palm Springs’ finest squatters.
- Still two years away from actually opening, ARRIVE is named by Conde Nast magazine as one of the most anticipated hotels openings in the world.
- In September, with the utility work finally completed – and a mere 18 months after the “groundbreaking” ceremony with the city – construction on the hotel actually begins.
- Putnam and Englund join the ARRIVE team.
- As part of its commitment to rethinking the operations and management of hotels, the group formalizes an innovative employee equity program that will offer all levels of team members the opportunity to become part owners of ARRIVE Hotels & Restaurants.
- ARRIVE launches its second project, an 82-room hotel in Austin, Texas, with a local development partner, Alexa Management.
- ARRIVE, Reservoir restaurant & bar, and Customs Coffee open in Palm Springs.
- Palm Springs Chamber of Commerce names the ARRIVE co-founders as "Business Persons of the Year"
- ARRIVE Palm Springs is awarded the coveted Gold Nugget Grand Prize for Best Commercial Project under 20k sq. ft. by PCBC
- ARRIVE opens its second restaurant in Palm Springs: Draughtsman.